To achieve the look of these minimalist homes, it's important to stick to some basic rules.
Simplicity and clutter free are the basic rules. Subtle sophistication, texture and clean lines help to define this style of decorating. Focus on color, space, and simplicity, your home will look sleek, fresh and welcoming.
You do have to be a person who likes simplicity and clutter free to go with this minimalist look. If you are the kind who struggles to stay tidy (me!), likes you stuff everywhere around you, knick knacks and likes to display your collectibles around your house, this style will be a disaster for you. The interior design of the minimalist home should have fewer divisions to create a wide open space or an illusion of wide open space.
However much I like the look of a minimalist style, I don’t think its suitable with me – who has so many stuffs around my house. To get the same look I have to modify the design a bit, and create more organized storage space to keep all my stuff, at least within reach. The trick is to look- really tidy, clean and totally clutter-free and wallah, you get yourself not only a relaxing, soothing and tranquil, but also a super, modern, cutting-edge look.
Tips to a minimalist – clutter – free house.
- Neutral colors, black, grey and white are the main colors in contemporary style interiors. White is the ultimate color for a minimalist interior design look. White should form the basis of your minimalist decorating scheme – for smooth walls, floor and furniture. For a modern, softer alternative to white, try neutral colors, or colors found in nature – choose pale beige, taupe, stone or even green.
- Your furniture should be classy-looking but streamlined and modern, rather than decorative or traditional in style.
- Choose plain furniture in natural woods and leather, or go for bright colors, and ultra-modern chrome, glass and stainless steel.
- Glossy textures and straight lines are a great look for the minimalist interior design style.
- Accessories are not a major part of the minimalist interior design look – the whole idea is to clear out the clutter, and have as little ‘stuff’ as possible on show.
- Storage is, of course, a very big factor. Everyone does have stuff – and uses stuff all the time – so to keep this look neat and tidy (just the way it should be!) invest in plenty of roomy storage (easily accessible!) to keep it all hidden away.